Sunnyvale and Santa Clara are in the top 10 cities for nerds to find love, according to a survey released by Match.com.
Sunnyvale -- home of companies that include Yahoo Inc., Palm Inc., and aerospace and defense companies -- came in at No. 1.
Coming in at No. 5 was Santa Clara, which hosts headquarters for high-tech companies including Intel Corp. and Sun Microsystems Inc. The city is also home to Santa Clara University and Mission College. Match.com made its selections by finding cities with the highest education rates among its members, either in technical or educational occupations. Other top cities for nerd love were:
2. Cambridge, Mass. — Cambridge is home to two highly esteemed and prominent schools, Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
3. Somerville, Mass. — Cambridge’s nerdy neighbor, Somerville, is home to the private research university, Tufts.
4. Berkeley, Calif. — This East Bay community is the site of the University of California at Berkeley, the oldest institute of higher learning within the revered University of California systems. The state-of-the-art Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory also calls this city home.
5. Santa Clara.
6. Ann Arbor, Mich. — In Ann Arbor, the University of Michigan employs about 30,000 people — which equals roughly 26 percent of the city’s population. The city’s economy mostly depends on developments in high technology, as many companies are drawn to the area due to the educated alumnae that have matriculated there.
7. Boulder, Colo. — Not only serving as the home base for the University of Colorado, Boulder is also a burgeoning hub for high-technology, electronics and aerospace companies.
8. Columbia, MD — The nearby National Security Agency and Fort Meade Army base account for more than 8,000 highly educated jobs that can be found in Columbia.
9. Fairfax, VA — In May of 2008, Forbes commended Fairfax for its strong public school system, high median salary, and financially fit employers in the city, which include SunTrust and Federal Technology Services.
10. Rockville, MD — Rockville is home to numerous software and biotechnology companies as well as several federal government institutions. Its per-capita venture capital investment is the highest of any town outside of California.